A survivor of Book Haram’s Tuesday gruesome attack on Faduma Kolomdi village in Gubio local government area of Borno state has narrated how the insurgents deceived villagers before they struck.

ALSC had on Wednesday reported that over 80 people were killed in the attack.

The witness who didn’t want to mention his name for security reasons told the state Governor Prof. Babagana Zulum who visited the village on Wednesday that 81 residents were killed, 13 persons injured and seven others, including village head, abducted.

“The insurgents in gun trucks and armored tanks came around 10am. They operated for about six hours and left around 4pm,” he told the governor.

“They gathered us and said they wanted to deliver a religious sermon to us. They asked us to submit whatever arm we had. Some villagers gave up their dane guns, bow and arrows.

“The insurgents pretended as if they were not there for any violence. Suddenly, they started shooting at will. Even children and women were not spared. Many were shot at close range. Many started running. At the end, many people were killed.

“We have been burying people since 10:00pm last night to about 6am this morning. We have buried 49 corpses here while another 32 corpses were taken away by families from the villages around us. The insurgents abducted seven persons including our village head. They went away with 400 cattle.”

Reacting to the development, Governor Zulum described it as unfortunate and called on the military to intensify efforts on the fight against the insurgents.

“Last year, about the same number of people were killed in Gajiram like it happened again. This is barbaric. It is very unfortunate. The only solution to end this massacre is by dislodging the insurgents in the shores of Lake Chad. Doing so will require collaborative regional efforts,” he said.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here