Controversial junior Minister of Labour and Employment, Festus Keyamo has been stripped of the powers to oversee the recruitment of 774,000 young people in the federal government’s special public works programme.
The Senate President, Ahmed Lawan disclosed this during an interactive meeting with journalists in Abuja on Monday.
He said a resolution passed by the upper legislative chamber has mandated the National Directorate of Labour and Employment (NDE) to assume full responsibility for this task.
He added that NDE and the Ministry of Labour and Employment would first have to explain the modalities of the recruitment process.
“Only the NDE will implement this program. The NDE led by the Ministry of Labour will have to come and explain.
“It would be unfair to say that we are not on the same side in the legislative and executive because someone from the executive has acted.
“What the National Assembly insists on is the national interest,” he said.
The National Assembly last week asked President Muhammadu Buhari to suspend the programme after Keyamo had a shouting match with a committee of the senate which demanded he provide details of how the recruitment would be carried out.