A man mistakenly set fire to his own flat after lighting hundreds of tea light candles as part of plans to propose marriage to his girlfriend.

The South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue service responded to a flat fire in Sheffield and found out after the fire had been dealt with that it was caused by a man who left hundreds of tea light candles burning while he left the flat to pick his girlfriend up from work.

The fire service explained the chain of events that led to the fiery proposal. The man, who is not identified, set the scene for his proposal with balloons and a bottle of wine, before lighting masses of candles.

“This was going to be the scene of a romantic proposal and the occupant, a chap who we shall not name, had really gone to town!” said the fire service.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here