According to studies, there are many situations that trigger depression and anxiety especially in adults.
In Nigeria, some of the situations include marital challenges, failing love life, finances challenges, school resumption time and Christmas and Sallah seasons, among others.
The Anxiety and Depression Association of America says that it is common for a person with anxiety disorder to also suffer from depression and vice versa. Dr Arsheeya Taj, Consultant – Psychiatrist at MGM Healthcare, Chennai, has suggested a few tips to identify and work for your mental health.
- Communication: Speak to someone who is close to you and understands you well.
- Distraction: It is important to distract the mind from unhappy or depressing thoughts. Read a book, listen to music or follow some other hobby to distract the negativity. Going to the church or other religious gatherings can help.
- Acceptance: “This too shall pass”—repeatedly believe in this to accept the reality.
- Take a break to take a breath: Make some time out to relax and calm your nerves. Hanging out with friends is a good approach.
- A good long walk or run helps in mind to clear.
- Adequate Sleep: It’s been proven that sleeping is an active practice that increases your ability to overcome stress.
- Eat a healthy diet: Body needs fuel to function so eat well and stay hydrated.
- Stay positive: Try to understand what is causing unhappiness to you and try to stay away from it.
- Get some sunlight: Studies have suggested that a good dose of Vitamin D helps in relaxing the mind. So, get up, step out and increase your body’s happy hormones.