The Nigerian Army says it has no hands in the killing of protesters in Lekki, Lagos on Tuesday.

Many people were said to have been killed by soldiers at the tollgate following incident that began around 7pm last night. Death toll was estimated at 27.

But the Army, via its Facebook account said reports liking soldiers at the tollgate as fake news, stating, “No soldiers were at the scene”.

To conceal the evidence of the carnage, officials of the Lekki Concession Company had earlier on Tuesday evening removed CCTV cameras from the tollgates, same with the floodlights and display boards which were all switched off, putting the entire area in total darkness before security agents began shooting the protesters.

Earlier on Tuesday, Lagos state, Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu, had imposed a 24-hour curfew on the state following the violence that engulfed the state leading to the burning down of at least three police stations but some protesters refused to vacate the Lekki tollgate which is the epicentre of the protests.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here