Nigerian singer Burna Boy Sunday night joined other entertainers to win at the 63rd Grammy awards which held in Los Angeles.
Another Nigerian, Wizkid won, alongside Beyonce with their 2020 song- ‘Brown Skin Girl.’
Burna Boy’s song- ‘Twice as Taller’ gave him the prize for the Best Global Music Album, his first Grammy Award after two nominations.
Twice as Tall won the award over records by Antibalas (FU Chronicles), Bebel Gilberto (Agora), Anoushka Shankar (Love Letters), and Tinariwen (Amadjar).
Burna Boy won the award months after the Recording Academy announced plans to change the name of Best World Music Album to Best Global Music Album, saying it’s a step toward “a more relevant, modern, and inclusive term.”
Beyonce was the biggest winner last night taking home, four prizes and thereby breaking the record for the most-ever Grammy wins by a female artist, and the most by any singer, male or female.
Others who won big include rapper Megan Thee Stallion who went home with three awards including Best New Artist and pop powerhouse while Taylor Swift won Album of the Year honors for the third time in her career.
See list of some of the most important wins:
- Album of the Year: Taylor Swift, “folklore”
- Record of the Year, recognizing overall performance on a song: Billie Eilish, “Everything I Wanted”
- Song of the Year, for songwriting: H.E.R., Dernst Emile II and Tiara Thomas, “I Can’t Breathe”
- Best New Artist: Megan Thee Stallion
- Best Music Video: Beyonce, “Brown Skin Girl”
- Best Rap Album: Nas, “King’s Disease”
- Best Rap Song: Megan Thee Stallion featuring Beyonce, “Savage”
- Best Rap Performance: Megan Thee Stallion featuring Beyonce, “Savage”
- Best Rock Album: The Strokes, “The New Abnormal”
- Best Rock Song: Brittany Howard, “Stay High”
- Best Rock Performance: Fiona Apple, “Shameika”
- Best Pop Vocal Album: Dua Lipa, “Future Nostalgia”
- Best Pop Solo Performance: Harry Styles, “Watermelon Sugar”
- Best Pop Duo/Group Performance: Lady Gaga with Ariana Grande, “Rain on Me”
- Best R&B Album: John Legend, “Bigger Love”
- Best R&B Performance: Beyonce, “Black Parade”
- Best Alternative Music Album: Fiona Apple, “Fetch the Bolt Cutters”
- Best Global Music Album: Burna Boy, “Twice as Tall”
- Best Country Album: Miranda Lambert, “Wildcard”
- Best Contemporary Christian Music Album: Kanye West, “Jesus Is King”
- Best Comedy Album: Tiffany Haddish, “Black Mitzvah”
- Best Song Written for Visual Media: Billie Eilish, “No Time to Die” (for “No Time to Die”)